Sunday, November 8, 2009

Remembering #4



Yolanda writes this about her mother ~

Antonia Suarez Yrigollen
Born March 21, 1917 died June 26, 2008, age 91.
She was a strong 4 ft. 11 women. She was born in Abilene Texas the oldest of 4. She ruled our house with a firm hand. Here life was hard, because she grow up in the depression, but learned survival skills early in life. My dad said even as little as she was she was spicy hot like a chile when she got mad and could do anything just like a man. She worked on airplanes during the war & she was a wonderful seamstress, crocheter and all around handyman. She never drank or smoked. Always eat the right foods and had a beautiful figure and her appearance was important to her. Always a lady. It's only today that I can appreciate all her warnings about the world and my part in it. When I do anything crafty I see her hands in my hands and see her face. Even though she was a very serious person, when she got older that seemed to melt away and she would let us hug and love on her. She loved See's Candy and would hide it if we gave her a box. I'm blessed to have had her in my life, she taught me self respect and don't give up!

I had the privilege of meeting Mrs. Yrigollen when she was in her 80s. Even at her age, she was a vibrant, beautiful woman. Not only is she missed by her children, but her grandchildren as well. She obviously did a great job as mother and grandmother.

1 comment: