Saturday, October 17, 2009

Friends and Family

The Bakersfield Museum of Art is offering families the chance to put up altars in their lovely garden on November 1st to celebrate Dia de Los Muertos. Several friends and family members decided to get together and put up a large altar in honor of our loved ones who have passed.

We have scurried about researching and gathering materials. Many of us are the artsy/crafty types with a strong eclectic spiritual bent, so this project is right up our alley! In the true spirit of Dia de Los Muertos, we are approaching this project with lots of fun, laughter, and remembrance.

Hopefully, this will not be just a one shot deal. Hopefully, we will gather for years to come to pay tribute on the Day of the Dead to our loved ones who have passed on. I'll be posting a few blog entries with photos and updates on our progress.

Here are a few of the skulls we've been working on today ~

1 comment:

  1. I love that saying, "My heart is my Altar" it brought tears to my eyes thinking about it & looking at all the love & energy it took to create the art that is going into this Altar! Then..... I burst out laughing when I saw "the flower" that is really what it is all about.....oh & the" intense" shot of me "working" well, when I looked closely, crap I'm TXTING!!!!! Ya I guess that is intense!!!
    Love it Linda, this project has been wonderfully healing in more ways than I could have imagined!!

    ReplyDelete